timeline

History

Timeline

1880


Knock Church is extended by the addition of two aisles

1971


St. Joseph’s Rest Home opens as a residential hostel for the sick

1979


Knock village and Shrine is improved and upgraded for Papal Visit

1988


Knock Shrine Religious Books’ Centre opens

1920


Knock Church is further extended with the addition of the sacristy

1973


Knock Museum opens to the public

1981


Enclosed order of Carmelite Sisters come to live in Knock Shrine grounds

1990


Chapel of Reconciliation opens as a centre for reconciliation and counselling

1938


Outdoor Stations of the Cross are erected

1974


The Way of the Cross is constructed on a hill, now called Calvary Hill and used in the processional route

1983


Blessed Sacrament Chapel is built specially for exposition

1992


New Apparition Chapel is completed and re-opens

1940


First oratory is built onto gable wall of parish Church

1976


The Church Our Lady Queen of Ireland (Basilica) is completed and opens for public ceremonies

1984


St. Brigid’s opens as a rest home for handmaids of the Knock Shrine Society

1999


Knock House Hotel opens to the public

1968


Processional Square is developed in front of Apparition Gable

1978


St. John’s Rest and Care Centre opens to provide welcome and hospitality to visiting pilgrims

1986


Knock Airport is officially opened

2006


New exhibition opens at Knock Museum

Stay in touch with Knock Shrine news and events

SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER