The Apparition Chapel

The Apparition Chapel encloses the original gable wall of the Parish Church, the place where the Apparition was witnessed in 1879.  The Chapel is quiet and peaceful  and provides a space for reflective prayer and contemplation.

The original gable wall has been preserved, highlighting the Carrara marble carvings of Our Lady with St. Joseph to her right and St. John the Evangelist to her left. The Lamb is placed in the centre of the chapel on an altar surrounded by beautifully carved angels. Careful consideration was given to designing the scene to replicate the Apparition as described by the witnesses. The figures were sculpted by Professor Lorenzo Ferri in Italy in 1960 before being transported to Knock.

Pope John Paul II blessed the statues in the Chapel on his visit to Knock Shrine in September 1979 and Pope Francis spent time in quiet prayer at the site of the Apparition during his visit to Ireland in August 2018.

The Apparition Chapel is open for private prayer from 8am to 9pm daily.